Speak softly and snuggle up in bed
August 29, 2014 § 20 Comments
Well, here it is. My low volume quilt that was started on a quilt retreat in 2012 and finished just last week. I’m quite happy that it is finally finished! In all of it’s goodness and badness. The goodness of all the different kinds of fabric that went into it. Some scraps. Some swapped with other internet friends. And some from my stash or purchase specifically for this project. And the badness of my free-motion quilting. (read the last note under what I’ve learned) At the last minute I added that scrap of lemony green print to the top and bottom to make it a little bit bigger without having to create a whole other row to sew onto the quilt top.
I learned a few things with this quilt.
- I need to make a habit of doing a little free-motion quilting regularly. It does get better the more one does it.
- I’ve decided that ALL bed quilts must now have wool batting. It is the softest, most snuggly batting EVER to sleep under!
- To become better at finishing things, I need to have only two or three projects at different stages to keep from getting overwhelmed or bored.
- And there should always be one at the quilting stage so that I can do more of what I said at the beginning… quilt a little on a regular basis. The Lord knows I have plenty of UFO’s to keep this practice going.
- It’s the texture of the quilting after it’s all washed up and ready to use that draws me in rather than the actual design that is quilted. I need to remember this more often so that I don’t get so discouraged about my ability to do the quilting. It’s the texture on this quilt that I love, by the way, in spite of my rocky start when I began the quilting. SCORE!
The backing is a combination of two different fabrics that I found on sale. The bonus is that it makes for a fun “second quilt” in case I ever want to flip it over. And it fulfills a little bit of that imaginary “need” to have a cross or plus quilt.
As the summer is winding down, it feels strange to be wanting to throw such a thoroughly summer quilt onto our bed. But that’s exactly what I am going to do. Put it on the bed and snuggle up underneath it.
When it came time to sew on the binding I was SURE that I had purchased some orange fabric specifically for this project. I looked & looked & looked but couldn’t find it. So my second choice was this older Denyse Schmidt print which I love. When I had just 30-inches or so left to sew down I came across the orange polka dot that I intended to use. That was a very “doh!” moment. I guess the orange dot was meant to be on a different quilt.
- Approximate size – 90″ x 86″
- Fabrics – scraps, stash, & swapped with friends
- Batting – Quilter’s Dream wool